change the question

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Come on in

Last week I listened someone preach on the last supper. He asked the question what must it have been like to be the owner of the house with the upper room? I mean come on these 12 guys come to you house and say, "Hey, we need your house." Do you let them in? The concept of hospitality is something that fascinates me. Is the often over looked message from this text, that we should always be ready to welcome the stranger? We as humans truly never know whom the person is that we welcome into lives and our homes. What does that mean to our congregations as well. Who are we not letting into our doors? Last night was felt very much like I was being held at the door and not welcomed in. There was a speaker at a church that I really wanted to hear. It was advertised as open to the public. When I arrived at the church. I parked my car in what I thought was the church parking lot, and went to the front door. It was 20 degrees and dark outside. This was an urban neighborhood that I have never been to. The front door was locked. I tried the next door: locked as well. I tried 4 doors before I caught sight of a teenager being dropped off enter an almost hidden door. After followed her into the church, I found myself in front of a sign that said, "If parked in lot, you will be towed!" Nothing about where on could park, however. There was a stairway in front of me with no direction as to where the speaker was. Now not being a shy person I looked around to find my way to a fellowship hall coatroom, where an article was hung. "Information for Greeters and Ushers: How to welcome visitors to your church." I found this very ironic not one tip had been followed by this church. A simple sign would have made the difference.
This experience should challenge all us to search with in ourselves, our homes, and our churches to examine the things in are lives that are saying- you can't come in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home